I bought this gorgeous duck egg fabric a good year or two ago, I love its crisp cool colours that remind me of spring. I tend to revamp my cushions generally for the season – given that I bought 6 metres of the fabric for a bargain price of £5 the warm sunny days have made my thoughts turn to summer and had me rifling though my fabric stash.
There are two of these chairs in my studio – I picked them up from the local tip for £3 over ten years ago! The cushion was left from a recent re-vamp of a Chesterfield sofa E did at the end of last year. He kindly shaped the foam for me.
I used some calico to make a template of the chair – it is easier to push a sharpie right into the corners to get a good shape. Then I tidy the shape with a different coloured pen – a ruler and a French curve.
This clover wheel tool is great to add seam allowances, I just tape the pen to the guide at the right distance. (wish they would make these with pen attachments!)
I wrapped the foam in a thin layer of wadding, followed by a second thicker layer. This helps to protect the foam from disintegrating, as well as filling up the cushion pad. I love the process of hand stitching this on, as it is a lovely relaxing process.
I added a zip to the curved edge so that it would be easier to slip the cover off for washing if necessary. I decided against piping as it was hard to colour match the fabric from my stash. Either my bias binding was too blue or too green! In the best make do and mend tradition I decided to do without!
I find it a lot easier to hand stitch the bottom cushion piece, as you can have complete control over where the stitch goes without wrestling all the oddly shaped fabric under the presser foot. It also means that you can achieve a really snug fit.
It took me one weekend to complete these cushion covers, they are so comfortable! They fit in nicely with my mostly white colour scheme of the studio. They also match the sofa cushions I did last week!
Keep safe and well x